I have been telling our clients to keep writing blogs but I haven’t been as detailed as necessary so here are the ways to write your blog so that it maximizes your Search Engine rankings. First things first, writing blogs alone will not help increase Search Engine ranking. You need to have a sound technical SEO website for content to be able to increase rank. If your website was built using a DIY builder or a web developer with no technical SEO background, you are out of luck.
If we built your website in the last year then we have integrated it with all the latest SEO Algorithms and writing your blog alone will help increase your website content.
- Write content that is valuable and beneficial — this is a no brainer but sometimes its important to emphasis this… do not write just to write. You need to write content that you know Users will benefit from and enjoy. You know your content is valuable because Users will spend 30 seconds to a minute on the page and then click to another page. The current ranking algorithm now counts the minutes a User spends on your website. The longer the time, the higher your ranking. If you write content that is valuable and beneficial then Users will stay and read it. This is probably more important for businesses in the tourism sector. Your customers need to have as much info as possible so always satisfy their need for comprehensive information.
- Ensure that content facilities click-throughs to other pages within your website — whenever you write content, make sure you link to other pages within your website. If your content marketing is spot-on all your blogs should be interrelated. I wrote about this in detail here.
- User Headers to target keywords and sub-headers to support your main header — headers are there for a reason. In fact, Search Engines use your header to determine what your content is about. Your header and your page title are the two most important indicators of what keyword you are targeting so make sure you choose your headers carefully.
- Let Users / Search Crawlers know that you are an expert in your Industry — have an author byline. This is because both Users and Search Engines need to know that whoever is writing the content knows their business. If you are hiring a content-writer, make sure she knows her business and industry well. There should be no more ghost writers today and everyone in the Company should be writing.
- Link to credible sources only — a few years ago, in the SEO industry, it wasn’t recommended to link externally. This has all changed because the latest algorithm, in fact, requires it. On Google Search Console, you will get an error message if you block external resources. When you link to credible resource, it helps your website become credible as well. When I say “credible” — these are websites of Companies / Brands that have been around for decades and are leaders in their respective industries. If you link to a low-ranking website, Google will associate your brand with that as well so only link to high-ranking websites.
- Use bullet points to enable easier reading — this is self-explanatory. Bullet points break down your content into readable sections. Its easier to read and easier to understand.
- Write blogs frequently — ideally you want the search engines to visit your website atleast once per week, especially if you are in a competitive industry. If that is the case, make sure you write a blog weekly. If your industry is not as competitive, write a blog bi-monthly.
There are other elements to think about when writing your blog, most important is your topic / subject. I also wrote a previous blog that details the latest EAT requirements. For any questions / clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask.