Aside from the crazy news of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s divorce today, Google has announced that AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) begins its global rollout in mobile search results.
What does this mean for your business?
Its important to note that Google has mentioned that the rollout does not mean rankings will change but if there are two versions of the page, Google will choose the AMP version which loads in less than a second.
A sample of AMP can be found on our website: www.wowebsites.com/amp/
As you can see you will find no frills, no design code, no html/css bloat issues. Its just pure content. Now you know why I have been harping on creating valuable content! Google is moving to “voice search” — I believe this is the start of it. When you have nothing but text then it gives Google’s voice something to read and it will not be hindered by any html / script issues found on most web pages. Obviously, I am guessing that this is what Google’s plans are but it is a guess based on my experience being in the industry for over 10 years now.
What can you do for your Website?
First, we need to create AMP pages within your website and then I recommend creating pages of content that answer Users questions. Here are a few examples below:
For the Real Estate Industry, here are Google Searches:
- How much to buy a house in the Cayman Islands
- Which better Cayman Islands or Bahamas? / etc. (see other searches above)
- How is the Real Estate Industry of the Cayman Islands?
For the Jobs Industry, here are Google Searches:
- How much do lawyers make in the Cayman Islands
- Advantages of living in the Cayman Islands (this could also be good for Real Estate Companies)
- Quality of life in the Cayman Islands
For other tourism based business here are Google Searches:
- What is the best dive location in Cayman Islands?
- Where is the Cayman Islands?
- Whats the best way to experience the Cayman Islands if you only have 5 hours?
If you want to know what your specific industry questions are, please shoot me an email.
The importance of creating AMP pages today
In my opinion its important to create AMP pages today because Google will need test pages to test voice search. If you already have AMP pages then your search results may be used for voice searches in the near future. Now, I can’t say for sure when that will happen or even if it will happen at all. But if you look at all the clues: enabling AMP to roll out globally, ensuring no hindrance to text so it reads faster (less than a minute) then you can be sure this is a reliable guess.
Even if Google insists that its not part of the ranking algorithm now, I am fairly certain the content of AMP pages are what they are going to be using for Voice search.
Now, there are some caveats to this and this could be as important as creating AMP pages, I feel that they are only going to be using content of pages that have consistently ranked high and if that page itself is trustable. There are many ways to ensure the trust-worthiness of your website (aside from the obvious of having relevant content), here are some technical aspects:
- Get a certified SSL certificate from Geotrust. Getting an SSL from Geotrust is important because Geotrust provides business intelligence. They do not give out SSLs to every business, its a tedious process and they check that the business exists.
- Create and build an impactful personal / company brand on Social Media. I think this is important because Google will want a “Brand” associated with whoever they use for voice searches. Its easier to trust a brand that other people have liked, shared and used as reference. Plus its quantifiable data. Something that can be automated.
- Ensure that your website does not have any Google Penalties and if it does, fix them right away. You can easily find this information in your Google Search Console (previously known as Google Webmaster Tools). If we manage your website then you don’t have any Google Penalties. That’s my hobby: checking out your Google Search Console 😉
This is just the beginning of the excitement of Voice search. More to come as we move forward in this business of Search!